Friday, October 16, 2009

last weekend

I get busy and write about the details of our life, and forget to tell you about our real life...

Last weekend, Ryan and I both had out-of-town events scheduled: He has been planning a backpacking trip with Steve for months, and I was asked to speak at a women's retreat. Once we realized the conflict, we got on the phone. I was only going to be away for 24ish hours, but with Athan's med schedule, daily injection, and emergency procedures to learn, that's no small thing to ask of just any sitter (besides the fact that most of the people who could do it for us were going on the retreat with me :). So after some sifting and sorting and planning and re-planning amongst the grandparents, it was decided that Sid, Selena, and Na-Na would come up and stay with us a few days.

It was the first time Ryan and I were both so far away from Athan at the same time for so long. Despite the most capable caretakers, it chewed on my nerves all weekend that if there were an emergency of some kind (they seem to lurk around a corner with our Athan), I would be too far away to help. My mother's intuition had to go with me to Camp Kavanaugh, unfortunately.

Of course, it was fine. He was fine. They had a blast, Papa Sid learned to give his shot, Nana kept his med schedule on target, and Na-Na made Morgan feel like the center of the universe.

And I remembered that it's not up to me to do this alone. Or even to just Ryan and I. Athan has been entrusted to our family and friends, too, and he will be better for it if we'll let others take a shift.

Thanks, Sid, Selena, and Na-Na for helping this weekend. Broader "thanks" to all who come along side us in parenting our kiddos.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I never asked you-- how was the retreat? I'm sure you did a great job; maybe the first of many retreat leading experiences to come?