Monday, November 5, 2007

attempted answers

We frequently are asked or hear about some recurring questions that we may not have addressed. I’ve been meaning to write this for some time, partly for you and partly for me. It always helps me think things through when I sit to write about it.
Athan’s medical troubles are rooted in his genetics. As far as we know right now, none of the things that I did or did not do during pregnancy could have caused this. My prenatal care was good. The biggest challenge for me was hyperemesis again, which just means I was sick around the clock for months. However, this could not have caused Athan’s problems. None of the genetic testing has uncovered the source of his sickness. It may be a fluke - a one-in-a-million random genetic mutation. It may be something inherited from Ryan or myself. We don’t really know, and we may never know for sure.
We do not regret having a home birth or using a midwife. I think both of my experiences of labor and delivery were better for me and baby to be at home, and choosing home birth was in no way responsible for Athan’s condition. We are attempting to walk forward while negotiating the tension between natural treatment and medicine (we are fortunate to have access to such wonderful care from both!), being as informed as possible about both as we make decisions.
We still do not know what any of this will mean in regards to Athan’s quality of life. We have many, many questions about what his life will be like. At first, we were only looking forward a few minutes at a time. Then hours. Then days and weeks. Now I feel like we know what the next few months hold. When we are able to get more of a picture of what the years ahead may hold, I will try to write about it.
We are also not sure whether we will choose to have more children or not. Further genetic testing may be able to tell us what chance we would have of any future children having the same troubles, which would inform our decision. We both are open to all of the possibilities. We may have 2 kids. Maybe more. Maybe more of our own, or maybe adopt. All are options we will explore over the next few years.
Thanks to all who are praying us through this time and will walk with us through whatever the future holds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is aunt Karen. Athan has a bright future not only because you and Ryan are his parents but because he is in God's hands! Don't let things that people say or ask make you second guess your decisions. You all are wonderful parents, have done all the right things and have diligently gotten Athan the help he needs as he works to overcome his struggles. You'll look back at this post when he is older and be reminded not only of the great parents you all are but also of the awesome and great God we serve!
Kiss my Athan and Morgan.
Aunt Karen

Jordan Strebeck said...

I love you guys... What a freaking tangible example of the gospel... Can't wait to hold my boy and my girl!