Monday, February 16, 2009

Day's End

Dad here, taking the blogging reins for a late-night post. I'm going to try to capture Athan's last waking moments in words. Though I know i won't be able to do the picture justice, I have to try. Morgan and Amberly were asleep, so Athan and I were taking care of a few things in the kitchen. I put him in his high chair to take his medicine, then turned around to wash a few dishes. I looked over after a couple of mintues and I could tell the boy was getting tired. After all, he did have quite a long day. (Refer to Amber's post from earlier to get an idea how hard his morning was.) Add to morning tests and therapy an afternoon with sister, and i'm not sure how he survived! At one point they were playing a game they must have learned from bighorn sheep. Morgan would just head-butt Athan, make some strange noise, and they would both giggle. So, fast forward an hour or so, and there is Athan in his high chair - head still a bit red from Morgan's game and eyes droopy with fatigue. I was hurrying to finish up so i could rock him to sleep, but i didn't work fast enough. Just before he closed his eyes, Athan cocked his head to the side and flashed a subtle grin to no one in particular.

I'd like to think it was a grin of satisfaction - knowing that he got the good out of a day; that he has a sister who loves him enough to share her "fort" with him, therapists who push him to get "better," and a mama who strongly and patiently helps him ford the daily rivers. After I put him down, I thought about how the gratitude we express only in prayer was effortlessly revealed through my son's smile. He remains my greatest teacher of peace and contentment.

Good night.

2 comments:

Mendi said...

So, precious. It is amazing how much our little guys teach us on a daily basis.... truly a challenge and a blessing.

Unknown said...

I'd have to say...he's teaching me a lot too!!