Friday, September 5, 2008

I was reprimanded

By my mother. She said I was starving them for updates. So here goes...

Ryan - He started classes again, and the same word has already emerged that shows up at the start of each new semester: overwhelmed. It just seems like too much to do/learn/read/write in one semester. Still, I think he will enjoy his classes, and Athan being healthier should give him more time to focus on school. He's also working on the house and yard and things, getting ready for fall. He shaved his beard (but promised me he'll grow it back when the cooler weather comes to stay).

Amberly - I'm still working on the house. With vacation time in the mix, we've only actually lived in this house a few weeks. Today, for instance, I sifted through all our boxes of decoration-type stuff and tried to rebox the stuff we'll save for the next house, hang some pictures, etc... I've been riding my bike again, which has been great! I'm also keeping Claire, daughter of my friend Eve, on Wednesday and Friday mornings. I'm (finally) trying to learn to really cook, so I've been to the grocery store and in the kitchen quite a bit.

As to how we're really doing as the parents on Athan's Journey... Most days I'm doing really well. I adore my son, and I'm so impressed with all he has grown to be already. I've also recently been encouraged by some GREAT information on this website about panhypopituitarism (which, if you're a new reader, is the biggest part of Athan's diagnosis). So many of the times I feel sad or afraid or overwhelmed, I've felt also very alone. Reading about even just one other family's experience with this diagnosis has helped so much.

I think I'll update on the kids in separate posts.

1 comment:

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

So. We don't hang out with you guys as often as I'd like. But even watching you guys, mostly from a distance-- you're always such an encouragement, amazement, and blessing to us.