Monday, August 6, 2007

attempted Thank You turned comedy of errors

Kim was Athan's primary nurse in NICU (pic posted in previous post, if you need a visual). She drove all the way out here with her girls to see us today. I wanted to take them to lunch as a (very small) gesture of thanks for the amazing ways she took care of us all during such a difficult time. I think I just ended up torturing them for 2 hours!

We left Athan and Dad at home, and headed downtown Mayberry - I mean Wilmore - to Tastebuds. I love that place, but it might be the least kid-friendly restraunt known to man. For the first time in history, the tiny little understaffed soda/sandwich shop was packed. We cleared our own table so we could sit at a "booth." The term "booth" needs some defintion: picture the smallest table you've ever eaten at, then cut that in half, and that's the size of our table today. Around it are the chairs from the world's first theater - the kind that fold up and down. So we squeeze in a 1st grader, 2 toddlers, and 2 mommies (one pregnant). We have to enlist Kailey (1st grader) to hold down the seat for McKinley (1-yr-old) so she doesn't disappear into a taco of wiggly discomfort when the seat flips up with her standing in it! Kailey, great big sister though she is, could only take so much of being McKinley's jungle gym. Morgan, meanwhile, has flipped her own seat a couple of times and spilled most of her lunch onto the floor below us, and refuses to eat the rest. We're fighting like crazy to keep kiddos' feet out of the mess below and hands out of the hot pizza that is now taking up most of the square inches on the table. When Kailey is finally fed up, she moves into my seat to sit by Morgan and I fetch another chair to sit at the end, only to have Morgan climb immediately into my lap because she's afraid I'm leaving. When she calms down, we shuffle again so Morgan can sit by Kailey....

Getting the picutre?! That went on right up until Kim had to leave - just as Morgan (quite suddenly) hit the I'm-too-tired-to-stop-screaming state.

I should have just sent her an "I 'heart' Nurses" coffee mug, right?!

Seriously, it was so so good to see Kim again and meet her beautiful girls. If she's brave enough to let me try again sometime, I think we'll stay here for lunch! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just had to laugh when I was reading this blog. I feel your pain! This summer my sister-in-law and I took my two (5y & 3y) and her two (4y & 2y) little ones to "cousins camp" in the Dallas area. At one point all four of them were screaming uncontrolably in the car and all we could do was laugh. I liken it to a whole row of motion sensored singing Santas at Walmart at Christmas. You think one looks really cute and seems pretty managable, yet as that one sets off the other thousand, all you can do is run the other direction, hoping that the manager doesn't band you forever!!!!!!:>) I am so thankful that the little ones are doing much better! We continue to lift you and your precious family up daily!!!! Love you! Christi