Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Prayer

Josh gave me a copy of The Brothers Karamazov for Christmas a few years ago. I started it then, but did not finish and have been wanting to find a time to read it ever since. I decided this summer i would try again, so I've been keeping it at the hospital. I came across the following dialogue this morning and thought about our friends/community of faith. Fyoder Karamazov is a key character in this book and is for the most part a drunken, depressed fellow. His youngest son is a unique, courageous young man who has decided to become a monk. Upon hearing that his son was wanting to enter the monastery, Fyoder Karamazov said in a bit of despair: "I've always been thinking who would pray for me, and whether there's anyone in the world to do it..."

I read this today and thought about the loneliness and fear that grips people from time to time, accompanied by thoughts like Fyoder's. "Is there anyone in the world who would pray for me, or go to bat for me?"

We are grateful that through all of this, that is one thing we have never wondered. You all have joined the Holy Spirit in praying for our family and for the hope of the Kingdom in a time when we ourselves did not know how to pray. Again, thanks to all of you.

Ryan

When I read the first paragraph that Ryan wrote, I remembered a sermon from chapel this semester by Dr. Kalas [click here if you'd like to listen]. He spoke of the many, many people who pray for him, and the unfairness of the fact that so many have no one who pray for them. I feel that deeply today. Please keep praying for us - we need it. But also, even as a favor to Ryan and I, pray also today for a Fyoder Karamazov. Take a moment to intercede for someone that may not have anyone else praying for them. Thank you, thank you beloved friends and family.

Amberly

1 comment:

We all need GUiDance said...

Just wanted to let y'all know that I am still praying for y'all and that everyone at Wesley (at A&M) is praying for y'all. Let me know if there is anything that I can do.