Saturday, June 2, 2007

Saturday morning rounds

Dr. Bada is our attending, and we got to be in there during rounds to hear all the docs summarizing where we are. I'll do my best to make it clear here.

They confirmed that there is no further need for antibiotics, and seemed very pleased with his blood pressure as well. His oxygen level shows he is doing really well breathing on his own. There were some raspy sounds in his breathing, but nothing terribly concerning.

He is still not alert enough to take a bottle, but he has continued getting breast milk via the feeding tube in his mouth. He is tolerating it very well, so they are going to increase the volume and feed him more each time. And the BEST news this morning - the lines in his belly button are coming out! As long as there is no problem with the procedure or subsequent bleeding, we will be on an countdown of a few hours until we can hold him! :)

Neurology also visited this morning. They are pleased with his progress, keeping him on minimal levels of anti-seizure meds as a precaution, and have ordered an MRI now that he is more stable.

Endocrinology has him on 2 meds - one for his adrenal gland and one for thyroid. Both have been "loaded" (started with a big dose), and are now at maintenance levels of both. The attending doc said they will talk to them again and find out if we can start decreasing his levels of those drugs also and monitor his progress.

Long-term implications are still impossible to narrow. Everthing is still a possibility.

2 comments:

javajan104 said...

This is Meredith's mom again. I am so glad to hear such encouraging news this morning. I know it is hard not to be able to hold your precious boy. Meredith was so very sick and near death when she was 7 months old. I did not want to ever put her down. I felt she needed the connection to me. I do know what you are going through and I assure you I am with you in prayers and thoughts. Keep strong and remember to eat. That is so important, but seems so trivial. You have to be strong for Athan and Morgan. Jan Thornell

Michelle said...

Hi, My name is Michelle Vass. I am Meredith's sister. I wanted to let you know that you and your family (especially Athan) are in my prayers. I will be adding you and your family to my church prayer chain tonight. The prayer team is dedicated to pray up to 6 people for 30 minutes everyday for the whole week. You will be covered in prayer in Clear Lake!

God Bless you. Michelle Vass