Thursday, June 7, 2007

ups and downs

Well, Athan had a pretty good afternoon, but also some rough patches. He really does nurse well when he is alert and rested, but life in NICU doesn't always allow for him to be alert and rested by each feeding. Doctor visits and tests and meds are part of it, but he is also working on the same things most babies are working on - diaper rash being a big issue at the moment, for example. We had to put the feeding tube back in just to make sure he is getting enough when he is not alert enough to nurse well. Also, we are trying to figure out the best way to get him his meds. When we get home, there won't be a tube to push them through, so he has to learn to take them mixed with breast milk in a bottle (which so far he just won't do - he's used to latching on to Mama instead of bottle), or some other way that we can do at home when we get there.

Ryan is on medicine and feeling better, but still not feeling 100% about spending time back with Athan. We're hoping some more rest and cough syrup will help tonight.

I'm also a little more sore and having a little bit more trouble just moving around. Everything still seems to be healing well, but my body is remembering I did give birth recently! Ryan has been so good to help me rest more today and take it easier. He also went out and bought me new shoes for walking around the hospital. Sounds silly, but it has made my day SO much better for my feet to not be burning and my ankles not be swollen.

Aside from physically, I've been searching for words to describe how I am doing. As we told some friends today, the time of panic has subsided. I don't feel overwhelmed like I did at first. When it comes to walking out all that this will mean for our family, the best word for how I feel is "resolute." We can do this. Athan can do this. Leaning heavily on our Jesus and His church, we can keep walking (or running or limping or crawling) this out. I know there will probably be times when I'm overwhelmed again, but we can face that, too. And the other word for how I feel is just "sad." I know Athan can do this, and I'm grateful that he is alive and has the opportunity to do it. But I am also immensely sad for my little boy because he has to do this. He's just a little boy.

As always, it was good to see some friends today, as well as hearing from many of you via calls and comments and e-mails. We remain thankful for the ways you all are loving us through all of this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

resolute love. resolute community. resolute prayer. resolute do-ability.

brother Brent said...

What a good lookin boy Athan is.... (alot like his uncle).... Mrs. Morgan is in good hands, so rest assured Mom and Dad. Can't wait to see that big fella! We love you guys, and we're praying for your family.

Brent

Anonymous said...

So sorry I called your baby Nathan. I thought I did that and your Aunt Loy told me I did call him the wrong name.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." comes to mind as I read today's blog about you guys walking with Christ. Also Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you.... " He has a plan for baby Athan and your family.
We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Robert & Becky Jones

Anonymous said...

Cap did really good taking his antibotic with an oral syringe. J gave it to him at his evening nursing while I was still holding him before I switched sides. If that doesn't work you could try sticking the syringe in the corner of his mouth while he is still latched on. This will take you, Amberly, and someone else, of course. But eventually, Cap I got into a routine where I got his med ready before the nursing and could give it to him myself at half-time.

Prayers and Blessings headed your way from the Panhandle.

Love,
Amy
and Cap & J, too